Sunday, November 23, 2008

This Week the Trend

A young man commits suicide, live to the world on his webcam. I hear a story of an elementary school class riding the train on a field trip, only to experience the shock and gore of a woman throwing herself before that train. A loved member of SLO Crusade's fellowship ends her life. My tutoring student asks me jokingly how as a math major I hadn't killed myself. Laziness. Having struggled with depression like many Americans, the thing stopping me in dark times was sleepiness and lack of proximity to a deadly substance that wouldn't make too much of a mess.

I've noticed a continual trend these last weeks about depression and suicide. Depression related deaths are a leading cause of death in my age group, and it seems God is dropping it on my heart. But every human being with a soul ought to help in this. The key: Love.

People need honest love. Not the fake love that just tries to convince an individual that there life is important, but a love that causes the person to know why anyone around would be deprived when he or she was gone.

Let the people you love know that you do love them.  I am certain that every person that has committed suicide was loved, but it was just not made known of it. Save a life. Love.

-Tyler Hall

No comments: